Friday, April 13, 2007

Union Pacific Hiring Process


I called HR at Union Pacific to see how my status is progressing as far as the hiring process goes. Because I am relocating from Denver to North Platte, Nebraska I need to be sure everything is in order before I move. I took my medical on April 9, 2007 and I was still waiting to hear if I had cleared my background check. When we interviewed we were told we could start training but if the background check was not completed by the time we started training and it turned up something we would be immediately released. I have only been arrested once and spent one night in jail for failing to pay a traffic ticket. That was 17 years ago so I didn't figure that would be a problem. I did have three speeding tickets within the last year and a half and wasn't sure if that would be a problem. Apparently it wasn't because when I talked to HR they told me I had passed the medical and cleared the background check. I have an appointment on April 20, 2007 for my physical agility's test but I don't see any problem there. I have seen some pictures of recent hires at UP for the same position and some of these guys are in a lot worse shape then I am. I figure it's a go and I am now making plans to move. I have had a few jobs over the years and been through a variety of hiring processes. Union Pacific has been far and away the most rigorous and thorough process I have been involved in. Here are my suggestions for those of you trying to get hired. First, do some research on the railroad you are thinking about applying for. Find some recent hires that have been through the process and talk to them. Find out what it is really like. Also, talk to some folks who have been at it for awhile. Get their perspective. I also talked to a senior manager out here in Denver who started in Train Service to hear his thoughts. The conductors and engineers offer one perspective, managers offer another prospective. Try to talk to both. Next, seniority is King on the railroad. Make sure you are hiring out in a place where you can build seniority as quickly as possible!

No comments: